Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Power of Healing, Forgiveness and Transformation

And here is another amazing and inspiring TED talk by Emmanuel Jal. Emmanuel was born in war-torn Southern Sudan and grew up as a child soldier. He is one of  the Lost Boys of Sudan.  He struggled to transform his life, survived and rose as a poet, author and an international rap star for peace. I highly recommend that you listen to Emammuel's song no tribalism, nepotism, and racism in my motherlandHe is a re-settled refugee in the United States.  Emmanuel is an example of how a refugee can transform tragedies and sorrow into a journey of hope and inspiration to many.  Here is how his talk begins and I hope you'd watch the video and listen to the rest of Emmanuel's story. 

"I just want to say my name is Emmanuel Jal. And I come from a long way. I've been telling a story that has been so painful for me. It's been a tough journey for me, traveling the world, telling my story in form of a book. And also telling it like now.And also, the easiest one was when I was doing it in form of a music.
So I have branded myself as a war child. I'm doing this because of an old lady in my village now, who have lost her children.There is no newspaper to cover her pain, and what she wants to change in this society. And I'm doing it for a young man who want to create a change and has no way to project his voice because he can't write. Or there is no Internet, like Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, for them to talk.
Also one thing that kept me pushing this story, this painful stories out, the dreams I have. Sometimes is like the voices of the dead, that I have seen would tell me, "Don't give up. Keep on going." Because sometime I feel like stopping and not doing it. Because I didn't know what I was putting myself into."





Here is an interview with Emmanuel on AlJazeera English.




Here is a video where you can see a glimpse of Emmanuel's life in Sudan, and also hear him sing.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment